Happy New Year! I’m really looking forward to this year; a year I know will be full of new adventures and growth. When I think back on 2015, the word that comes to mind is ‘steady’. There were ups and downs, but it wasn’t a dramatic year in a positive or negative way. I did not make any big resolutions or goals for myself in 2015, but this year I do. Maybe that’s why it was a steady year for me. This year, my overarching theme of goals is to radiate. To radiate from within and on the outside. To radiate for me means that I will give it my best shot to be more optimistic, hopeful, and strong. I’ve decided that this is my theme for the year because quite honestly, I have been feeling dull. Dull because I haven’t made enough time for myself to even go through a proper skincare routine at night, because I didn’t make smarter decisions to buy what I really loved (AKA quality over quantity), and the list goes on.
I know that last year, many of you probably felt the same way, or had to face your own fears; some far more serious than my own troubles or fears. I truly believe that you have to go through hard times sometimes to get to a place of light and radiance. Sometimes it’s difficult to see the sparkle ahead. My advice for you (and myself!) is to try to embrace the struggle(s) because if you do, you will come out of those particular struggles with so much knowledge, strength, power, and ultimately happiness. I read this article recently, and it really struck a chord with me. Author Mark Manson pushes readers to ask themselves, “how do you choose to suffer?” – because everyone wants pleasure. But to get to that point, what kind of pain are you willing to endure? Being broke temporarily to start your own business? Waking up at the crack of dawn to exercise to achieve your fitness goals? I’ve asked myself this question over my array of goals, and I hope this method can help you too.
My goals for 2016
– Become a cruelty-free consumer; to make my dollar my vote against animal cruelty by purchasing humane/cruelty free products. Please note that I do not lead a completely vegan lifestyle. More on that at another time.
– Go to the gym at least 3 times per week. For a solid year, I did go to the gym 3-7 times per week and I felt amazing. That trailed off during the second half of 2015 for various reasons, but I am committed to getting back to that place.
– Making more time for downtime AKA ‘me’ time.
– To get more personal on this little blog of mine. It is something I have been wanting to do for awhile, but I have been scared to put myself out there. I’ve found that even talking fashion and silly day-to-day events with you guys on Instagram has led to some new friends and connections, and I would love to start more conversations and help inspire one another.
– To only buy what I LOVE. Do you ever look in your closet and think, “I hate all of my clothes!”? If so, I am with you! I am actually really excited to challenge myself to only buy what I love – not to follow a trend because it’s a trend, not to settle for a piece of clothing that is just okay in my eyes, not to buy something that looks great on most but not on me.
As cheesy as it sounds, the perfect phrase (and truth) to my overarching goal of radiating is that pressure creates diamonds. And I truly believe that embracing your struggles will make you shine that much brighter.
Do you have any goals for 2016? Please share them with me in the comments!