I usually drink my coffee black, but lately I have been getting into weird and different flavors to add. This is tricky, especially for someone who doesn’t consume dairy or conventional sugars. So I make all of my coffees at home…at least the fancy ones. There’s nothing more awkward and high maintenance than micro managing the barista at a coffee shop. So uncomfortable, right?!
My latest obsession is lavender. In everything and on everything so it was only natural to craft up my own version of a latte including lavender. This baby is of course 100% vegan and has no refined sugars. All natural!
- 1 cup of strong coffee
- 1/4 cup coconut cream
- 1 tablespoon Lavender Syrup (recipe below)
- Dried Lavender for garnish (if desired)
For Lavender Syrup
- 1/4 cup dried lavender
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon water
- Add ½ cup water and ¼ cup lavender to a sauce pan, bring to a boil. Simmer for about 3 minutes, then remove from heat and allow to steep for 20 minutes. Strain out flowers and discard.
- In a clean saucepan, add 1/2 cup of coconut sugar and 1 tablespoon of water. Bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve sugar. Simmer for 3-4 minutes, then stir in lavender liquid. Whisk until fully combined, remove from heat and allow to cool. Transfer to storage container and keep in the fridge.
To make the Lavender Latte
- Place coconut milk into a microwave safe jar and heat for about 30 seconds, until warm. Tightly screw lid onto jar and shake for a few seconds, until milk is foamy.
- Place 2 tablespoons of lavender syrup in a mug. Pour hot, strong coffee over syrup. Top with foamy coconut milk. Garnish with dried lavender, if desired.
This is SO YUMMY and I now want lavender everything. Lavender essential oil, lavender hot chocolate (which I actually just made), lavender lemonade…the list goes on. Do you have any lavender recipes to share? I’d love to know!